Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Family........

There has been some family drama on Facebook over the last 24 hours or so and it got me thinking about what does a family mean to me.

Family in the eyes of my 13 year old consists of Mom, Dad, Brothers and Sisters. Typical family set up, right?

Family in MY eyes consists of those who mean something special to me. The obvious would be my Dad and Mom. For the longest time I thought I was an "only" child. So there was only 3 of us. Nice little family. When I was about 15'ish I discovered that I have a half-brother and half-sister. We really didn't get along for various reasons.

Since my dad passed away I have re-discovered a relationship with my half -sister Roberta. It's been wonderful getting to know her and realizing that we do have so much in common. And, in reality, I always wanted a big sister. :) My mom is encouraging this relationship as she thinks it's a good idea. Rick, the half-brother, told me yesterday that because I'm a HALF-sister, my opinions and feelings basically don't count in this family.

Boy did those words hurt. They hurt Roberta as well. Those words should have never been uttered. He has no heart or feelings at all and it makes me wonder what in the world did I do to deserve those comments. Maybe I'll never know, but I know now that he is no longer part of my life (and frankly, never was) and I should have listened to my "gut" and to my Dad.

Family also means (to me) the online friends that I have gained over the years. Some are my age and some are younger and some are older and that's fine. I ask for advice and get it from them. They mean the world to me and I'm forever grateful for them.

I don't have friends in the city I live in, I'm not sure why, but I don't. The people I thought were my friends, turns out, they are not. And someone who I was "good" friends with for a number of years, turned her back on me and told lies about me. Nice huh? So maybe I'm a little leary about making friends, who knows.

What does Family mean to you?

3 comments:

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

I am sorry that your half brother is taking that stand. Do not think it is anything you did because it is not. He may not be able to handle that one of his parents had another child somewhere else. He will regret it later.... do not dwell on it.

As for what I feel a family is.... sure it is your mom, dad and siblings. It is also your hubby and children. It continues with your grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins. In my book it is also friends who I have whether it be online or offline. (although, I do not have any offline)

You my dear are definitely my sister and I would not want it any other way! (((HUGS)))

Suzann said...

Interesting and very touchy subject that is for certain.

After a tsunami in what I had always known as my "family" that ended about 18 months ago, my answer is MUCH different than it would have been say 5 years ago. Even 2 years ago.

Family are the people who care about you when you need it the most. The people that are there for you no matter what. NOT people with whom you share a bloodline.

Today my family consists of my husband, my children, and some amazing people that love me every single day. NOT brothers, NOT sisters, NOT parents, or aunts or uncles.

blueladie said...

Very thoughtful post Kelly. I'm sorry you are experiencing pain at the hands of 'family & friends'. Those closest to us have the most power to hurt us, but also the most power to bring happiness into our lives. My family is my parents (whom live 350 miles away and I try to talk to once a week), my brothers and sister (whom I rarely talk to), and my daughters (1 I talk to frequently, 1 not). Friends, I don't have any who aren't 'online'. Hope this day brings you happiness and smiles. hugs, Cathryn