Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where were you?

Well, today is the 10th anniversary of the attacks on America.  Do you remember where you were and what you were doing?  I sure do.

I was getting my then 7 year old daughter, Nichole and 4 year old son, Nathan ready for the bus.  We had MSNBC on (like we did every morning nothing unusual) and Sam who was 18 months old at the time was eating cereal of some sort.  Typical day, beautiful outside and I had plans of taking Sam for a walk later in the day.

While I was waiting for the bus to get the 2 older kids, I happened to glance up at the TV just as the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Center.  I was hoping that neither kid saw it (much to my dismay, Nathan had.  That's a whole other topic of discussion for a later time) they got on the bus and off they went.  Hubs went to work and reminded me of something - cannot remember for the life of me and it really doesn't matter.  After everyone left, I sat there in horror at the events that were unfolding on TV.

It took everything I had to just do the daily things that we take for granted every day.  I was thinking about all of my TRUE friends (past and present) and wondering how they were feeling.  I even got an unexpected phone call from my friend Tracie in England wondering how I was doing.  I reassured her that I was NO where near New York and Washington DC and we chatted for a little bit.  Some how we both didn't care how much the call was costing us, we were grateful for our friendship at that moment.

Do I feel safer at this particular time? Not sure.  But I do not take anything for granted any longer.  I've realized friends/family come and go in your life, and even some people from your past (long ago) come back into your life and make it that much more enjoyable.

For those of you who read my blog on any kind of regular basis, I thank you so much.  And for those who know me personally, in real life, you guys mean the world to me.

Kelly

No comments: